Friday, January 7, 2022

Easy Rider (1969)

IMDb plot summary: Two bikers head from L.A. to New Orleans through the open country and desert lands, and along the way they meet a man who bridges a counter-culture gap of which they had been unaware.

While I'm not sure I got as much out of the movie as was there for me to get, I thought this was an interesting look at this time period and some of the ways people were trying to react to the dominant culture vs. preserve it. There's not really anybody to root for in this film, per se, as all the characters are either unlikable or keep the audience at arms' length, but the questions it raises about conforming to society or breaking away are interesting to consider in light of their story. It's a film I'm glad to have seen but not necessarily one I feel an urge to watch again -- a lot of the scenes are long and winding and I'm not sure I'd get any more from them a second time -- but I get why people might really love and connect to this film. I'm just not one of them.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Easy Rider < Monsters
Easy Rider > Dinner at Eight
Easy Rider > Batman: Under the Red Hood
Easy Rider < Planes, Trains & Automobiles
Easy Rider < Onibaba
Easy Rider > Anything Else
Easy Rider < Sreekaram
Easy Rider < Tulpan
Easy Rider < No Highway in the Sky
Easy Rider < Mongol
Easy Rider > The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Easy Rider > Kicking and Screaming (1995)
Final spot: #2137 out of 3511, or 39%.

No comments: