Friday, November 19, 2021

Buffalo Soldiers (2001)

IMDb plot summary: A criminal subculture operates among U.S. soldiers stationed in West Germany just before the fall of the Berlin wall.
Directed by Gregor Jordan. Starring Joaquin Phonenix, Anna Paquin, Ed Harris, and Scott Glenn.

I was a little startled when I started adding this to my movie sites and learned it's billed as a comedy. I think it must be leaning on Phoenix's roguish disregard of the rules for its humor, but I honestly got none of that, probably because of how strongly I disliked Phoenix but probably also because it works decently well as a straight drama. Or at least enough that I generally enjoyed it as I watched it. Looking back on it now, a few days later, the details have not stuck with me at all, let alone any emotions about them. Not all movies are wonderfully great or horribly bad, a lot of them sit in the forgettable middle, and this is one of those.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Buffalo Soldiers < The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle
Buffalo Soldiers > A Prairie Home Companion
Buffalo Soldiers < Flypaper
Buffalo Soldiers > Kiki's Delivery Service
Buffalo Soldiers > Dracula (1931)
Buffalo Soldiers > Mr. Pip
Buffalo Soldiers > Three Days of the Condor
Buffalo Soldiers < Coraline
Buffalo Soldiers < Run Lola Run
Buffalo Soldiers > Nowhere Boy
Buffalo Soldiers > The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (2009)
Buffalo Soldiers < Wes Craven's New Nightmare
Final spot: #2197 out of 3480, or 37%.

No comments: