Monday, October 18, 2021

My Girl (1991)

IMDb plot summary: A young girl, on the threshold of her teen years, finds her life turning upside down, when she is accompanied by an unlikely friend.
Directed by Howard Zieff. Starring Anna Chlumsky, Macauley Culkin, Dan Aykroyd, and Jamie Lee Curtis.

All my peers watched this growing up so even before watching it I knew how it ended -- though I won't spoil that for you here -- and expected the events of the final 15 minutes to play a bigger part in the rest of the movie, but instead it's a more meandering story than I anticipated. Anna Chlumsky brings a realistic level of somewhat irritating precociousness to the title character, aside from a few scenes that I attribute to script problems rather than actor problems. That script does falter at times -- it leans more heavily than I'd like into the general idea that suffering is necessary to make you a better person, which is an uncomfortable message in a children's film. Overall, it's fine, but nothing particularly special, and it definitely is clunky in places.

How it entered my Flickchart:
My Girl < The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle
My Girl > Gladiator
My Girl > V/H/S
My Girl > Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
My Girl > The Lady from Shanghai
My Girl > After the Wedding
My Girl < Raising Cain
My Girl > Meet John Doe
My Girl < One, Two, Three
My Girl < High School Musical 3: Senior Year
My Girl > It Comes At Night
My Girl > Christine
Final spot: #1761 out of 3449, or 49%.

No comments: