Sunday, October 24, 2021

Candyman (2021)

This film does a really great job of painting a generally horrifying atmosphere steeped in a dark, ugly history. The use of shadow puppetry to tell the Candyman legends is a very cool artistic choice that helps to separate the myth from the reality of the story in an eerie way. That being said, the story falls apart for me a little at the end. It blurs the lines between legend and reality in a way that made the metaphor difficult for me to track. I suspect this is me missing something though, as this all seems intentional, and I would love to hear someone else's take on the ending.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Candyman < Sunday in the Park with George
Candyman > Gladiator
Candyman > V/H/S
Candyman > The 'Burbs
Candyman > The Lady from Shanghai
Candyman > After the Wedding
Candyman > The Testament of Dr. Mabuse
Candyman < True Romance
Candyman < Star Trek: Nemesis
Candyman < The Major and the Minor
Candyman > Elle
Candyman < Absolute Power
Final spot: #1750 out of 3451, or 49%.

No comments: