Saturday, August 14, 2021

Possession (1981)

IMDb plot summary: A woman starts exhibiting increasingly disturbing behavior after asking her husband for a divorce. Suspicions of infidelity soon give way to something much more sinister.
Directed by Andrzej Zulawski. Starring Isabelle Adjani, Sam Neill, Margit Carstensen, and Heinz Bennent.

This was absolutely terrifying. One of those films where even if you're not entirely sure of what's causing things to happen, you know that something is VERY WRONG. I knew Isabelle Adjani's performance was noteworthy going into this, and it absolutely is, one of the most unsettling things I've ever seen, particularly that subway scene, but also throughout. But Sam Neill is also deeply unsettling, a character who acts with such sociopathy but is completely unaware that there's anything wrong with him. I do wish I knew what this movie was trying to be *about*. I was fascinated by the wild and terrifying ride through this couple's life, but it all feels a little empty for me at the end. It's undeniably effective though, and while I don't particularly want to rewatch it, I'm glad I saw it.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Possession > Dark and Stormy Night
Possession < Anna Karenina
Possession > Being John Malkovich
Possession < L'atalante
Possession < Meet Joe Black
Possession > Can You Ever Forgive Me?
Possession > Inherit the Wind
Possession < Good Time
Possession > The Exterminating Angel
Possession < Lethal Weapon
Possession > The Meg
Final spot: #1191 out of 3417, or 65%.

No comments: