Sunday, August 1, 2021

Luca (2021)


IMDb plot summary: On the Italian Riviera, an unlikely but strong friendship grows between a human being and a sea monster disguised as a human.
Directed by Enrico Casarosa. Starring Jacob Tremblay, Jack Dylan Grazer, Emma Berman, and Saverio Raimondo.

This is the first Pixar film I've seen in awhile that felt decidedly *for* children. That isn't a bad thing by any means, children deserve their own art too, and it deserves to be good, and this is definitely that, but it didn't really have any of the deeper, more complex moments I've come to expect from the studio based on their other films. No tugging on my heartstrings here, really. The characters are cute, the plot a well-structured one that definitely is reminiscent of The Little Mermaid, the sea monster design is delightful, and the relationships between the characters are relatable. I have no true complaints about it, it's a quality film, but I am not the audience here and don't embrace it as wholeheartedly as I might have as a child.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Luca > The Misfits
Luca < Safe
Luca > Charlie St. Cloud
Luca > The Artist
Luca > Being There
Luca > Jesus Christ Superstar
Luca > Crocodile Dundee
Luca < The Black Cat
Luca < Barton Fink
Luca < Miss Saigon: 25th Anniversary Cast
Luca < SubUrbia
Luca > Baby Driver
Final spot: #877 out of 3409, or 74%.

No comments: