Friday, March 26, 2021

Elle (2016)

IMDb plot summary: A successful businesswoman gets caught up in a game of cat and mouse as she tracks down the unknown man who raped her.
Directed by Paul Verhoeven. Starring Isabelle Huppert, Laurent Lafitte, Anne Consigny, and Charles Berling.

Isabelle Huppert got an Oscar nomination for her work here, and it's well-deserved. She conveys so much with so little, these subtle little moments that suddenly tell us so much about what's going on inside her. The narrative itself is... complex and tricky to sort out. While I think it's done well and thoughtfully in a way that gives Huppert's character a lot of agency and depth, I do sort of raise my eyebrow at this story being written and directed solely by men. It doesn't automatically disqualify it for me, but it means I hold it a little bit at arms' length and am a little less sure I like it than I was at first. It makes me wonder how much of its story is meant to be... tantalizing instead of thought-provoking. Huppert's work deserves recognition, but I'm still parsing out how much recognition the film deserves on its own.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Elle > One, Two, Three
Elle < Hoop Dreams
Elle < Harakiri
Elle < Holiday Inn
Elle < 21
Elle < Kinky Boots the Musical
Elle < The Keep
Elle < Nine Queens
Elle > Raising Cain
Elle < The Major and the Minor
Elle < Absolute Power
Elle > Escape from New York
Final spot: #1658 out of 3331, or 50%.

No comments: