Friday, November 1, 2019

Swiss Army Man (2016)


IMDb plot summary: A hopeless man stranded on a deserted island befriends a dead body and together they go on a surreal journey to get home.
Directed by Dan Kwan and Daniel Scheinert. Starring Paul Dano and Daniel Radcliffe.

How do you even really review a movie like this? It is strange and gross and creepy but it also has some really lovely moments tapping into pieces of humanity from a very strange side-angle. It reminds me of something like Lars and the Real Girl and The Beaver, except with maybe more magic realism and a lot more gross body function jokes. The latter is the piece that keeps me from really loving it. I see how the idea that humanity is kind of gross as a whole is part of the movie's point, but it also makes me want to not watch the movie again any time soon. I guess I haven't watched Paul Dano in anything in a little bit, because I'd forgotten how truly great he is as an actor. The soundtrack should also get a mention. It's beautifully ingrained into the fabric of the film, and the one true laugh the movie got from me was a background song where the lyrics were a very literal description of what was happening on screen.

I have no idea where this is going to land.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Swiss Army Man > Blow Out
Swiss Army Man < The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas
Swiss Army Man > State and Main
Swiss Army Man < All's Faire in Love
Swiss Army Man < Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
Swiss Army Man > My Date With Drew
Swiss Army Man < Before Sunset
Swiss Army Man > The Horse's Mouth
Swiss Army Man > Hamlet (1990)
Swiss Army Man > Let the Right One In
Swiss Army Man > Roma
Final spot: #1064 out of 3024.

No comments: