Sunday, November 3, 2019

Red (2018)


IMDb plot summary: Under the watchful gaze of his young assistant, the artist Mark Rothko takes on his greatest challenge yet: to create a definitive work of art for an extraordinary setting.
Directed by Michael Grandage. Starring Alfred Enoch and Alfred Molina.

This is now my third encounter this play, after studying it in a class and seeing a production of it after I left college (starring my acting prof, which was a sort of surreal experience). I have yet to really find my way into this story, and it is not particularly helped here by Alfred Enoch's performance, which remains perpetually in the same range of vocal inflections and makes it near impossible to break through into actual character. Molina is great as Rothko, of course, as he is great in anything, and I'm almost willing to sit through an hour and a half of him just ranting -- but not quite. I'm still not convinced this play is doing as much as I think it's doing, largely because I think it relies too heavily on characters talking *about*, a cold, distanced analysis of the meaning of art that rarely breaks through into the lives we see play out on stage. It's all right, but it just doesn't get to me.

This movie is not yet on Flickchart.

No comments: