Saturday, October 5, 2019

Pretty Poison (1968)


IMDb plot summary: When a mentally disturbed young man tells a pretty girl that he's a secret agent, she believes him, and murder and mayhem ensue.
Directed by Noel Black. Starring Anthony Perkins, Tuesday Weld, Beverly Garland, and John Randolph.

I... have no idea what this movie is doing. A huge part of it is how much it tries (I think) to paint Anthony Perkins' character as sympathetic, but he's extremely unpleasant in his efforts as an adult to lie to and seduce a high school girl. I can't tell if I'm supposed to read the couple's love for each other as genuine in any way. I just can't figure out what I'm *supposed* to think of these characters or get out of this, and I definitely didn't get anything on my own, so it all just ended up muddled.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Pretty Poison < Run Fatboy Run
Pretty Poison < Deja Vu
Pretty Poison > Mr. Mom
Pretty Poison > K-19: The Widowmaker
Pretty Poison < Snatch.
Pretty Poison > There's Something About Mary
Pretty Poison > The Out of Towners
Pretty Poison < Footloose (2011)
Pretty Poison > Palo Alto
Pretty Poison > Baby Mama
Pretty Poison < Jekyll & Hyde: The Musical
Final spot: #2370 out of 3016.

No comments: