Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Miller's Crossing (1990)


IMDb plot summary: Tom Regan, an advisor to a Prohibition-era crime boss, tries to keep the peace between warring mobs but gets caught in divided loyalties.
Directed by Joel & Ethan Coen. Starring Gabriel Byrne, Marcia Gay Harden, John Turturro and Jon Polito.

This was one of the few Coen brothers movies I haven't seen, so I was glad to get the push to see it as part of a movie challenge group, even if the Coens and I have a weird relationship where I only really like the movies people forget about or actively hate.

This is fine, I guess. It does that thing a lot of noir does where it puts in just a WHOLE bunch of characters and secret plots and double crosses and I think it's also maybe trying to say something about humanity but it mostly just leaves me kind of exhausted. When anyone can turn on anyone else, I have trouble finding any purpose or satisfaction to it, it just feels... random. There is certainly a lot of very stylish, atmospheric cinematography, and it's definitely a moody piece, which worked in its favor. But it didn't really grab me at all.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Miller's Crossing < Blow Out
Miller's Crossing > A Farewell to Fools
Miller's Crossing > Ulysses
Miller's Crossing > Cinderella (2015)
Miller's Crossing < V/H/S
Miller's Crossing < The Avengers
Miller's Crossing < Rebecca
Miller's Crossing < Chaos Theory
Miller's Crossing < Water for Elephants
Miller's Crossing > House of Games
Miller's Crossing < The Boston Strangler
Final spot: #1696 out of 3021.

No comments: