Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Miss Saigon: 25th Anniversary (2016)


IMDb plot summary: A filmed production of the musical 'Miss Saigon' for its 25th anniversary, performed live at London's Prince Edward Theatre, in London's West End.
Directed by Brett Sullivan. Starring Jon Jon Briones, Eva Noblezada, Alistair Brammer, Kwang-Ho Hong, and Tamsin Carroll.

I loved the cast album for this show when I was in high school. As an adult, I definitely recognize that there are some major problems with the show as a whole, but in spite of that I found myself really enjoying this production. I got really immersed into the heightened operatic nature of the big dramatic songs ("This Is the Hour" in particular is incredible). My heart just opened up completely for Kim and, to my surprise, for the Engineer as well -- the underlying tragedy to his largely comedic character really comes through in an incredible performance by Jon Jon Briones. And there really are some phenomenal songs in here.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Miss Saigon > Blow Out
Miss Saigon > The Hudsucker Proxy
Miss Saigon < Citizen Kane
Miss Saigon < 10 Cloverfield Lane
Miss Saigon < The Florida Project
Miss Saigon > Hannah and Her Sisters
Miss Saigon > Ocean's Eleven (2001)
Miss Saigon < Robot and Frank
Miss Saigon < Black Narcissus
Miss Saigon > Hawking
Miss Saigon > The Bells of St. Mary's
Miss Saigon > Crocodile Dundee
Final spot: #676 out of 3013.

No comments: