Saturday, September 28, 2019

Graveyard of Honor (2002)


IMDb plot summary: A barkeeper saves a Yakuza boss' life and thus makes his way up in the organization. However his fear of nothing soon causes problems.
Directed by Takashi Miike. Starring Gorô Kishitani, Narimi Arimori, Renji Ishibashi, and Ryôsuke Miki.

After having this on my movie challenge watch list for several years (and then accidentally watching the 1975 version instead), I've finally seen this one. And... meh. Not sure it was worth the wait. The most engaging parts of it by far were the moments that showed the character's depths of drug addiction, but frankly it was hard to care much at all about a character who raped two women in the first 15 minutes of the movie. I was just kind of done seeing him on screen long before he was done being on it, and it was exceptionally difficult to give a crap about what was going on in his life after that. And frankly I just wasn't sure what I was supposed to get out of this film. (It's kind of where I land on a lot of crime and mob films.) It didn't do a lot for me.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Graveyard of Honor < Run Fatboy Run
Graveyard of Honor < On the Waterfront
Graveyard of Honor > Bewitched
Graveyard of Honor < Frozen River
Graveyard of Honor > John Q.
Graveyard of Honor < The Name of the Rose
Graveyard of Honor > Miss Congeniality
Graveyard of Honor < Secondhand Lions
Graveyard of Honor > The Enemy Below
Graveyard of Honor > Airborne
Graveyard of Honor > Empire of the Sun
Final spot: #2509 out of 3014.

No comments: