Saturday, May 18, 2019

Shame (1968)


IMDb plot summary: In the midst of a civil war, former violinists Jan and Eva Rosenberg, who have a tempestuous marriage, run a farm on a rural island. In spite of their best efforts to escape their homeland, the war impinges on every aspect of their lives.
Directed by Ingmar Bergman. Starring Liv Ullmann, Max von Sydow, Sigge Fürst, and Gunnar Björnstrand.

One of two Ingmar Bergman films made in 1968. I definitely prefer this to Hour of the Wolf, if only because I can better sense what Bergman's getting at here. The sense of the chaos of war coming right to your house is captured so well. The interactions between Jan and Eva and the strain this outside stress puts on their already-wobbly marriage is also very interesting. It doesn't intrigue me as much as I want it to, but I appreciate where it's going.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Shame > Call Me by Your Name
Shame < Henry V
Shame < You Can Count on Me
Shame < Last Holiday
Shame < Star Trek: First Contact
Shame > Tokyo Story
Shame < Splice
Shame < Yellowbeard
Shame < Lord of War
Shame < Five Graves to Cairo
Shame > Air Force One
Final spot: #1438 out of 2973.

No comments: