Monday, May 27, 2019

Bullitt (1968)


IMDb plot summary: An all guts, no glory San Francisco cop becomes determined to find the underworld kingpin that killed the witness in his protection.
Directed by Peter Yates. Starring Steve McQueen, Robert Vaughn, Jacqueline Bisset, and Don Gordon.

I struggle to figure out what I want to say about this one because I don't really have any strong feelings about it. The car chase was great, as expected. I liked the moments with Bullitt's wife where it toyed around the idea of whether living in a world of violence has a long-term effect on you (even if it didn't actually dig depeer into that than just her one musing). The mystery itself just didn't grab me, and every time it seemed like the movie was going to incorporate a more interesting aspect, it seemed to give up pretty quickly. I'd definitely believe this is a personal anti-crime-movie bias keeping me from fully appreciating this, but as it is, I'm mostly just kind of bored.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Bullitt < As It Is In Heaven
Bullitt > The Cocoanuts
Bullitt < Bounce
Bullitt > Rango
Bullitt < The King and I
Bullitt > Captive State
Bullitt > Gilda [2164]
Bullitt < Bowling for Columbine
Bullitt < It Could Happen to You
Bullitt < Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging
Bullitt > Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Final spot: #2163 out of 2979.

No comments: