Saturday, December 22, 2018

The Long Day Closes (1992)


IMDb plot summary: A young British boy comes of age among his loving family and the austere Catholic Church as he realizes his love of cinema and his homosexuality.
Directed by Terence Davies. Starring Marjorie Yates, Leigh McCormack, Anthony Watson, and Nicholas Lamont.

I feel like calling this a film isn't quite right, it's more like a series of paintings with music. I can absolutely see why someone would love this -- pieces of this are strikingly beautiful -- but with the scattered nature of it I found myself spending most of my time trying to draw connections between the bits of narrative. I was somehow never able to fully immerse myself into the movie, despite it being the exact kind of movie I SHOULD be able to do that with. As a result, it didn't hit me emotionally the way that I hoped it might. I admire it, but do not love it.

How it entered my Flickchart:
The Long Day Closes > How Do You Know
The Long Day Closes < L'atalante
The Long Day Closes > Cabaret
The Long Day Closes > The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes
The Long Day Closes < Say Anything...
The Long Day Closes > The Thin Man
The Long Day Closes > Flight of the Navigator
The Long Day Closes < Au Revoir Les Enfants
The Long Day Closes > Pushing Tin
The Long Day Closes < Panic Room

Final spot: #828 out of 2888. So many 8s and 2s.

No comments: