Sunday, November 4, 2018

The Last Emperor (1987)


IMDb plot summary: The story of the final Emperor of China.
Directed by Bernardo Bertolucci. Starring John Lone, Joan Chen, Peter O'Toole, and Ruocheng Ying.

This is a very elegant movie. It looks gorgeous (seriously, just about any screenshot you could take of this movie would look amazing) but it's also a very well-written, compelling script, and the acting all round is solid. It's a subject I didn't really know a lot about, and hearing this story told throughout this character's life is so interesting. There's just a lot to like about this, and I'm glad I finally saw it, though I'm having trouble putting into words everything that I think about it.

4 stars.

How it entered my Flickchart:
The Last Emperor > Dirty Dancing
The Last Emperor > What's Eating Gilbert Grape
The Last Emperor < The Big Sick
The Last Emperor < The Kid (1921)
The Last Emperor > Gremlins
The Last Emperor < Robin Hood (1973)
The Last Emperor < Jack Goes Boating
The Last Emperor < The Invisible Man
The Last Emperor < Hairspray Live!
The Last Emperor > Bride of Frankenstein
The Last Emperor < Army of Darkness

Final spot: #623 out of 2864.

No comments: