Saturday, July 14, 2018

The Big Chill (1983)


IMDb plot summary: A group of seven former college friends gather for a weekend reunion at a South Carolina winter house after the funeral of one of their friends.
Directed by Lawrence Kasdan. Starring Tom Berenger, Glenn Close, Jeff Goldblum, and William Hurt.

This is pretty solid. Each of the characters is just interesting enough and gets just enough screen time that I feel like I've gotten to know them a little and care about how things ultimately work out for them. Overall, there's nothing really wrong with it, but I didn't feel as emotionally connected to it as I hoped to. It's one that I feel might grow on me on a rewatch, though, so I'll have to give that a shot someday. In the meantime, I like its quiet, thoughtful nature and its compelling characters (and cast), and I'm glad I saw it.

3.5 stars.

How it entered into my Flickchart:
The Big Chill > Million Dollar Baby
The Big Chill < Fury
The Big Chill > The Master
The Big Chill > Last Action Hero
The Big Chill < Black Narcissus
The Big Chill > Fantasia 2000
The Big Chill > Le samourai
The Big Chill < Three Colors: White
The Big Chill < Oscar
The Big Chill > Wristcutters: A Love Story
The Big Chill < Murder on the Orient Express (2017)

Final spot: #812 out of 2819, or 71%. This puts it at #32 out of 93 so far in the challenge.

No comments: