Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Shark Skin Man and Peach Hip Girl (1999)


IMDb plot summary: In dreamlike mountain scenery, Toshiko makes a daring escape from her sexually warped Uncle Sonezaki. Fortunately, she met Samehada as she runs for her life, which is also escaping from some slayers. What follows is a wild chase that leads the audience into a comically violent world.
Directed by Katsuhito Ishii. Starring Tadanobu Asano, Ittoku Kishibe, Sie Kohinata, and Kimie Shingyôji. 

I... do not get this. This is one of those movies that makes me feel dumb because while I can sort of track the overall plot, I can't follow most of what's happening moment to moment. I couldn't find the tone of the movie either - it had moments that seemed extremely dark and noirish and others that seemed almost cartoonishly goofy. I tried looking up some reviews and other info on the movie in the hope that I could get a better grip on it, but so far no luck.

1.5 stars.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Shark Skin Man and Peach Hip Girl < The Unsinkable Molly Brown
Shark Skin Man and Peach Hip Girl > Wilde
Shark Skin Man and Peach Hip Girl < Cropsey
Shark Skin Man and Peach Hip Girl > Barry
Shark Skin Man and Peach Hip Girl < The American President
Shark Skin Man and Peach Hip Girl < Les Miserables (1935)
Shark Skin Man and Peach Hip Girl < Simone
Shark Skin Man and Peach Hip Girl < Side Effects
Shark Skin Man and Peach Hip Girl > The Dinner Guest
Shark Skin Man and Peach Hip Girl < Albert Nobbs

Final spot: #1935 out of 2823.

No comments: