Tuesday, June 5, 2018

The Asphalt Jungle (1950)


IMDb plot summary: A major heist goes off as planned, until bad luck and double crosses cause everything to unravel.
Directed by John Huston. Starring Sterling Hayden, Louis Calhern, Jean Hagen, and James Whitmore.

While I like pieces of this individually, I find it hard to differentiate it as a whole from other film noirs. The tropes that make some people absolutely love this genre always make me feel like it's just very predictable, and there are only so many ways it can be told. So there's nothing wrong with it, but I'm not sure it stands out from the rest of the genre in a meaningful way. The most notable thing about it for me is some very cool staging of characters and framing of them with the camera -- some really great shots in here. But that probably isn't something I'm going to remember for too long.

2.5 stars.

How it entered my Flickchart:
The Asphalt Jungle > Pulp Fiction
The Asphalt Jungle < Sweet Smell of Success
The Asphalt Jungle < Blade
The Asphalt Jungle < Mother!
The Asphalt Jungle > Camp Rock 2: The Final Jam
The Asphalt Jungle < The Switch
The Asphalt Jungle < Oliver Twist (1948)
The Asphalt Jungle < Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
The Asphalt Jungle < High School Musical 3: Senior Year
The Asphalt Jungle > The Dresser
The Asphalt Jungle < Cabaret

Final spot: #1308 out of 2798.

No comments: