Wednesday, March 14, 2018

A Ghost Story (2017)


When I first finished this movie I just sat there, kind of stunned. No movie has hit me that hard on an emotional level in more than a year (Silence was the last comparable one). I ended up processing it out loud as part of a Flick Fights podcast where we did *not* all agree and the more people explained why they hated it, the more I realized how much I love it, and now as I review it a few days later, I feel a strong, visceral adoration for it. It's just narratively focused enough to keep the thread there below the surface, but ambiguous enough that it felt like dozens of potential stories could sprout out of this film at any time, and we just got to see snippets of them in (I presume) the same scattered, disoriented way as our titular ghost now sees his word. There's both an enormity and an intimacy to it, and both work for me. It's... er, well, I think I have to use the word is haunting. It's going to sit with me for a long, long time.

How it entered my Flickchart:
A Ghost Story > They Made Me a Fugitive
A Ghost Story > Quartet
A Ghost Story > Garden State
A Ghost Story < The Birdcage
A Ghost Story > Once
A Ghost Story > Dead Poets Society (which is too high)
A Ghost Story < Waking Life
A Ghost Story > The Lion in Winter (1968)
A Ghost Story < My Neighbor Totoro
A Ghost Story > Rashomon
A Ghost Story > Spirited Away
Final spot: #199 out of 2747.

No comments: