Sunday, July 16, 2017

Sin City (2005)


IMDb plot summary: A film that explores the dark and miserable town, Basin City, and tells the story of three different people, all caught up in violent corruption.
Directed by Frank Miller, Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino. Starring Bruce Willis, Mickey Rourke, Clive Owen, and Rosario Dawson.

A stunning-looking movie. Apparently I watched the recut version, where "That Yellow Bastard" was all one piece at the beginning. It was by far my favorite of the stories -- I was tired of the relentless cynicism by the time the next two rolled around -- and if I was just ranking that, it might end up much higher on my chart. As it is, I loved looking at it but don't think there's much to recommend it beyond those visuals. It's an emotionally exhausting watch.

3.5 stars.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Sin City > Beach Party
Sin City < Kolya
Sin City > Interstellar
Sin City < Misery
Sin City > Summer Wars
Sin City > The Tree of Life
Sin City > Young Frankenstein
Sin City > My Favorite Year
Sin City < The Big Short
Sin City > Mrs. Brown
Sin City > You Can Count on Me
Final spot: #830 out of 2638.

No comments: