Saturday, October 1, 2016

Real Life (1979)


IMDb plot summary: A pushy, narcissistic filmmaker persuades a Phoenix family to let him and his crew film their everyday lives, in the manner of the ground-breaking PBS series "An American Family".
Directed by Albert Brooks. Starring Albert Brooks, Charles Grodin, Frances Lee McCain, and J.A. Preston.

This is, I believe, my fourth Albert Brooks film and it is by far my favorite. I typically find him too understated to really be clearly comedic. This one, however, pushed that line just far enough for it to really, really work for me, and now I'm much more interested in watching his other films. Here the understated, everyday nature of the movie is very much the point, only to be constantly disrupted by Brooks (playing himself as director of the film) on his self-seeking quest. Everything works here, and the final scene is a hilarious and fantastic finale. I knew almost nothing about this movie before I started streaming in on Netflix, but I'm glad I watched it.

3.5 stars.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Real Life > O Brother, Where Art Thou?
Real Life < Children of Men, though I deliberated over this one for awhile
Real Life > The Pursuit of Happyness
Real Life > Nerve
Real Life < Bend It Like Beckham
Real Life > The Thief of Bagdad (1924)
Real Life > 28 Up
Real Life < An American Tail
Real Life > Source Code
Real Life > His Girl Friday

Final spot: #719 out of 2515.

No comments: