Saturday, May 21, 2016

To Have and Have Not (1944)


IMDb plot summary: During WWII, American expatriate Harry Morgan helps transport a Free French Resistance leader and his beautiful wife to Martinique while romancing a sexy lounge singer.
Directed by Howard Hawks. Starring Humphrey Bogart, Lauren Bacall, Walter Brennan, and Dolores Moran.

(Some spoilers ahead.)

I'm having difficulty pinpointing this genre. Emotionally, for me, it comes closest to noir, but the heroes seem like pretty straightforward good guys rather than antiheroes or seriously flawed characters, and it ends positively. But when I say it comes closest to noir for me, that isn't said in a positive way, unfortunately. I find noir, as a whole, a very boring genre, and that's how I felt about this. The conflict didn't feel very important, the resolution felt anticlimactic... The best part of this was the Bogart and Bacall interaction, but even that didn't wholly work for me, as it seemed to be more banter than substance. Overall, I'm glad it was chosen for me because it's a movie I really should have seen already and I would never have been motivated to seek it out on my own, but unfortunately I didn't like it much.

1.5 stars.

How it entered my Flickchart:
To Have and Have Not < Dreamgirls
To Have and Have Not > The Boss
To Have and Have Not < Looking for Comedy in the Muslim World
To Have and Have Not < Bounce
To Have and Have Not < Run Lola Run
To Have and Have Not > The Boy in the Striped Pajamas
To Have and Have Not < The Fugitive
To Have and Have Not > Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted
To Have and Have Not < Sarah, Plain and Tall
To Have and Have Not > The Hiding Place

Final spot: #1789 out of 2454.

No comments: