Friday, November 13, 2015

Husbands and Wives (1992)


IMDb plot summary: When their best friends announce that they're separating, a professor and his wife discover the faults in their own marriage.
Directed by Woody Allen. Starring Woody Allen, Mia Farrow, Sydney Pollack, and Judy Davis.

I am very nearly done with Woody Allen's entire filmography (so far) and there's just something so captivating and almost comforting about his movies to me, even ones without happy endings or those making shaky moral claims. This isn't quite either one of those, but it certainly tackles a lot of darker aspects of relationships, and seeing the interactions between the two couples is great to watch.

That being said, there weren't really any "wow" moments for me in this one. It's interesting, as I find most Allen movies to be, and it's certainly in his upper tier in terms of quality, but it didn't stand out to me the way I expected it to be. I was reminded of Deconstructing Harry, the other Woody Allen film I've seen this year that also left me similarly unmoved. Certainly not a bad flick, just nothing that's going to stick in my mind in the same way as The Purple Rose of Cairo or Annie Hall.

3.5 stars.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Husbands and Wives > Melinda and Melinda
Husbands and Wives < The Red Violin
Husbands and Wives > The Hudsucker Proxy
Husbands and Wives > The Call
Husbands and Wives < Bend It Like Beckham
Husbands and Wives > You Can Count on Me
Husbands and Wives < Ordet
Husbands and Wives > Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey
Husbands and Wives < School of Rock
Husbands and Wives > Say Anything...
Final spot: #695 out of 2388.

No comments: