Friday, November 27, 2015

A Most Wanted Man (2014)


IMDb plot summary: A Chechen Muslim illegally immigrates to Hamburg, where he gets caught in the international war on terror.
Directed by Anton Corbijn. Starring Grigoriy Dobyrgin, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Rachel McAdams, and Willem Dafoe.

While I had a much easier time with this than with other John Le Carre film adaptations, this still leaves me a bit cold. The performances are all good, the script is good, the story is good, but it highlights a problem I have with intrigue stories: so many of the characters are so deliberately cold and calculated that I simply don't care about them. This one clearly was trying to make a point, and I appreciate it, but in the end the genre itself got in the way for me. It's probably about as good a serious spy movie as I'm likely to see, but I still won't be able to rate it very highly, and almost certainly not as highly as it deserves.

2.5 stars.

How it entered my Flickchart:
A Most Wanted Man < The Fortune Cookie
A Most Wanted Man > Dinner for Schmucks
A Most Wanted Man > Total Recall (1990)
A Most Wanted Man > The Man With One Red Shoe
A Most Wanted Man < Hotel Rwanda
A Most Wanted Man > Ted
A Most Wanted Man < Fast Times at Ridgemont High
A Most Wanted Man < The Three Musketeers
A Most Wanted Man < The Fourth Kind
A Most Wanted Man > Highlander
A Most Wanted Man < Waterloo
Final spot: #1304 out of 2392.

No comments: