Sunday, August 9, 2015

Inside Out (2015)


IMDb plot summary: After young Riley is uprooted from her Midwest life and moved to San Francisco, her emotions - Joy, Fear, Anger, Disgust and Sadness - conflict on how best to navigate a new city, house, and school.
Directed by Pete Docter. Starring Amy Poehler, Phyllis Smith, Richard Kind, and Bill Hader.

Pixar has done it again. It's no surprise really, since Pete Docter's previous two Pixar films are in my top three of their filmography. As someone who has a fair amount of melancholy in her personality, I found it really refreshing to see a movie that touched on the positive uses of sadness -- not just sadness as a necessary evil to be overcome on the road to happiness, but that sadness itself can yield good things. I love how they showed sadness as a companion to compassion for hurting people, and how they showed that sharing sadness together can strengthen relationships to be even stronger than just sharing happiness together. I think this is a really important message that all too often gets lost in today's society. It was an important message for *me*, something I needed to hear right now, and I may or may not have cried throughout the entire last half hour because I cared so much about what was being said.

Oh, also the movie was creative and funny and the voice acting was perfect and I loved seeing a kids' movie with two very different female leads. That all is true too.

4.5 stars.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Inside Out > Safety Not Guaranteed
Inside Out > Eat Pray Love
Inside Out < Heathers
Inside Out > Nativity!
Inside Out > The Shawshank Redemption
Inside Out < Toy Story 3
Inside Out > Knights of Badassdom
Inside Out > Enchanted
Inside Out > Anatomy of a Murder
Inside Out > King George and the Ducky
Inside Out > A Christmas Story
Final spot: #334 out of 2371.

No comments: