Sunday, June 7, 2015

Deconstructing Harry (1997)


IMDb plot summary: Suffering from writer's block and eagerly awaiting his writing award, Harry Block remembers events from his past and scenes from his best-selling books as characters, real and fictional, come back to haunt him.
Directed by Woody Allen. Starring Woody Allen, Elisabeth Shue, Hazelle Goodman, and Bob Balaban.

Wow, Harry is really one of Woody Allen's most detestable characters, and there is a coldness to this movie because of it. This is one of the last few Allen movies I have yet to see, and I'm... still not entirely sure what I think of it yet, so this review may be a little scattered. The creative use of editing was fascinating here, making Harry's reality fragmented and jumpy while his stories were (as far as I can recall) smooth and straightforward. Unraveling his life through both his work and his real life encounters, we get glimpses of Harry both as who he is and who he wishes to be/thinks he is.

I think this is almost certainly not a flick I can grasp the first time through, so it'd be worth a second viewing at some point. As it is right now, it'll sit in the high middle of my chart as I feel there's something of substance there but nothing that really grabbed me this time around.

3 stars.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Deconstructing Harry > Holiday
Deconstructing Harry < Eat Pray Love
Deconstructing Harry < Barton Fink
Deconstructing Harry > Julie & Julia
Deconstructing Harry < Bye Bye Birdie (1995)
Deconstructing Harry > Titanic
Deconstructing Harry < Manhattan Murder Mystery
Deconstructing Harry > Camp Rock 2: The Final Jam
Deconstructing Harry > Cabaret
Deconstructing Harry > Star Trek: Generations
Final spot: #980 out of 2364.

No comments: