Thursday, March 19, 2015

Romy and Michele's High School Reunion (1997)


IMDb plot summary: Two dense, inseparable friends hit the road for their 10-year high school reunion and concoct an elaborate lie about their lives in order to impress their classmates.
Directed by David Mirkin. Starring Mira Sorvino, Lisa Kudrow, Janeane Garofalo, and Julia Campbell.

I thought this was going to be pretty stupid, but I figured I could watch it before it went off Netflix. And while it could definitely be called stupid, it's a delightful, goofy kind of stupid. It reminded me of a girlier, less sci-fi/fantasy version of Bill & Ted. Romy and Michele are delightful, likable characters, and the humor is the sort of light-hearted mildly absurd goofiness that I really enjoy. I started the movie late at night, figuring it'd be fine to watch part of and then sleep, but I ended up watching the whole thing because I was having such a good time. There is noooo substance here, but it checks off all the boxes for an awesome feel-good movie.

4 stars.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Romy and Michele's High School Reunion > Last Action Hero
Romy and Michele's High School Reunion > The Artist
Romy and Michele's High School Reunion < Into the Woods (2014)
Romy and Michele's High School Reunion < Perfume: The Story of a Murderer
Romy and Michele's High School Reunion > The Sessions
Romy and Michele's High School Reunion > The Basketball Diaries
Romy and Michele's High School Reunion < Mr. Brooks
Romy and Michele's High School Reunion > Match Point
Romy and Michele's High School Reunion > Hard Candy
Romy and Michele's High School Reunion > Hawking
Romy and Michele's High School Reunion < Pride and Prejudice (1995)
Final spot: #458 out of 2337.

No comments: