Thursday, August 9, 2012

Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery (1997)

IMDB plot summary: A 1960s hipster secret agent is brought out of cryofreeze to oppose his greatest enemy in the 1990s, where his social attitudes are glaringly out of place.
Directed by Jay Roach. Stars Mike Myers and Elizabeth Hurley.

I didn't know what I was going to think of this movie. I was hopeful I'd like it, but I'm not particularly a Mike Myers fan, and I knew it was the kind of comedy that might really rub me the wrong way. Well, that didn't really happen, but neither did it really grab me. There are a few very clever moments, including some that I didn't expect (for example, I didn't expect to be quite as amused as I was with the body part-censoring scene at the very end). But the jokes I actually laughed at were few and far between, and the silly characters and situations couldn't fill the gaps very well. This is also the kind of movie, however, that could grow on me over time, so maybe some day I'll watch it again and see if I enjoy it any more. 2.5 stars.

Best Part: Honestly, I think the funniest scene was the bit during the credits where he's doing the photo shoot. Also, Seth Green is super entertaining. "We'll shoot 'em together! It'll be fun!"
Worst Part: Most of the jokes went on JUST longer than I like, and so there were a lot of eye-rolling moments where I was thinking, "Still? We're still on this?"
Flickchart: #908, below The Fortune Cookie and above No Country For Old Men.

1 comment:

Travis S. McClain said...

I saw this in a matinee showing with a friend of mine. There was a woman there with two young-ish children. She was clearly turned off by its vulgarity and they left about 20 minutes into it. I wish I had followed.

This was one of the most tedious movies I've ever sat through. It's been 15 years and I haven't re-watched it since to see how it's held up. I thoroughly enjoyed the first sequel, but then hated the next. I'm curious about the forthcoming fourth film enough I might see it, but it would really have to come out in an otherwise dead time of the year for it to be much of a priority for me.