Friday, August 17, 2007

Mallrats (1995)

There's a Fry and Laurie sketch in which Hugh Laurie reads a poem to the audience and Stephen Fry's response is, "Hugh, you chose that poem... For God's sake, why?" This quote kept running through my mind as I tried to write this review. While watching the movie, I kept thinking, "Wait. Why am I watching this again?" And after the movie ended, I still can't come up with any sort of answer. The characters are obnoxious (with the *possible* exception of the one guy who is portrayed as the "nice guy"). The humor is aimed at those people who think the very mention of... well, *anything* to do with sex is absolutely hilarious. I found this movie not only unfunny, but actually unpleasant to watch. 0.5 stars.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oddly enough, the TV-censored version of Mallrats can be funnier to watch simply for the absurdity. There's no clue why the two guys are watching the fortune-teller so intently, for instance, and one of them insists that the reason he's glowing is because he just MET Renee in the elevator! Of course you're going to glow if you've MET someone!