Saturday, December 30, 2006

Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events (2004)

Just rewatched this after having read all the books. I'm still not sure what everyone's complaints were. It was still incredibly close to the book, despite having some of the events switched around. It still kept the tone of the book, and it only ended as happily as most of the books did - Baudelaires onto a new home, Count Olaf on the loose. Sure, the books were better, but this movie was quite a good adaptation of the series, even if there was a moment here or there that was a little off. 4 stars.

*Original Review*
This movie is NOT for everyone. I've never read any of the books, but now I'm inspired to. When I was describing it to my father, he said it sounded a lot like Roald Dahl. And that really *is* what it feels like, except where Roald Dahl always creeped me out a little bit, this has enough over-the-top zaniness that it doesn't feel that dark anymore. I thought the over-the-topness was great fun and not nearly as stupid as I thought it was going to be. Also, the main guy (what's his name? Klaus?) is the little kid from Stepmom. He was awfully cute as a little kid and looks vaguely familiar as a teen. Hmm. I'll have to think further about that.

No comments: