Monday, June 26, 2006

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971)

Ah, now I have finally seen the original of this movie. And my thoughts on it? Rather complicated. Okay, let me start off by saying I loved the book, and I loved the 2005 version. Gene Wilder was certainly closer to the Willy Wonka of the book (which I loved). And the ridiculous Wonka backstory wasn't in this one, thank goodness. Now here's where it gets tricky. I'm giving this the same rating as the 2005 version because, although overall it was a better movie, it wasn't moment by moment. You know how there are some movies you enjoy actually WATCHING but they're really not that good as a whole, and other movies are good as a whole but not that interesting to watch? The 2005 version falls into the first category, the 1971 into the latter. So they get the same rating. 3 stars.

No comments: