Friday, October 14, 2005

A Streetcar Named Desire (1951)

Plot: Disturbed Blanche DuBois moves in with her sister in New Orleans and is tormented by her brutish brother-in-law while her reality crumbles around her.

Tennessee Williams wrote a bunch of plays that are considered true classics of American drama, and maybe they are, but most of them just leave me going, "Uh?" I watched this movie in hopes that I'd like the movie more than the play, and although I must say it was very well done, I could never really get involved in the story. It seems to meander all over the place. Just when I think it's about one thing, it goes, "Oops, sorry, nope, it's about THIS!" and sends me off toward a different sideplot. Maybe that's what makes it good. I don't know. All I know is that it made ME confused -- so confused that I really felt very indifferent at the end of the movie, despite the very good acting by the entire cast. Probably someone else would get an entirely different feeling about this. 3 stars.

No comments: