Friday, October 14, 2005

City of Angels (1998)

Weeeeellll... okay, Anna recommended this, and thus far I've not minded all her recommendations and I even liked a few pretty well. But this one had only one thing going for it (well, two maybe - Nicolas Cage and Meg Ryan, both of which I like) and a couple major strikes against it. First, it had enough theological holes in it to make me a bit uneasy, the basic message being along the lines of "love is more important than everything, even obedience to God, and everyone out there should understand and respect that". Which... yeah, as I said, made me uneasy and it made this difficult for me to watch. Secondly, it followed two romantic formulas that I really don't care for: the Love Conquers All formula and the Well, At Least We Had One Beautiful Night Together formula. (Although the second is slightly better than the first.) Pah, pah, and triple pah. Although I have to say my mom came up with a significant way of improving the movie... in that next-to-the-last scene when he eats a pear, Mom suddenly says, "Wouldn't it be terribly sad if after all this, he really, really hated pears?" which made me crack up laughing because it would put such a markedly cynical spin on it. Gah. I'm not REALLY this cynical, just as far as movies go. :-) So . . . sorry, Anna. This wasn't my type of movie. 0.5 stars.

No comments: