Tuesday, May 2, 2006

Speak (2004)

I read this book a few years ago and wasn't impressed, and then reread it a month or two ago and still wasn't impressed. The thing I was least impressed by was the characterization. None of them felt real or distinctive to me. I couldn't identify with anyone. After reading it twice and watching the movie once, though, I have to say a few of them are beginning to gel in my mind. The movie followed the book pretty closely, omitting a few details and condensing, of course. However, it made a big difference to me to be able to actually see the characters on the screen. I was able to get a more concrete idea of them in my mind. I would imagine if you liked the book, you'll like the movie. The only thing that seems to be truly missing is Melinda's wry sense of humor, which really doesn't show up very much in the transition to the screen. 2.5 stars.

No comments: