Tuesday, May 2, 2006

Proof (2005)

At first I just wanted to see this movie because Jake Gyllenhaal was in it. Then I wanted to see it because it was based on a play. And then as I began watcing, I wanted to see it because it was a compelling story. It's about a woman who's recently turned twenty-seven and has spent most of her life caring for her father, who was once a brilliant mathematician but for the past several years has been sliding into insanity. When he dies, she and a former student of her father's (played by Jake!) begin looking through her father's papers. The dialogue in this is gorgeous. It's witty and clever, and yet the characters were entirely believable. I particularly liked Gwyneth Paltrow's protagonist, who is very vulnerable and introverted and clearly slightly messed up, but at the same time manages to have this dry wit. There's a heartbreaking scene toward the end of the film portraying the father during one of his bouts of madness. I actually cried during this part. Overall, one of the best movies I have seen so far this year. 4.5 stars.

No comments: