Saturday, October 4, 2003

Funny Girl (1968)

Half the songs in this show were musical staples in my house. My mom often sings "I'm the Greatest Star" for no particular reason - there's even a story that when partially anesthized while having a tooth removed, she sang it at the top of her lungs. She has no memory of this event, but the dentist does. :-) But aside from enjoying the music (not to mention Barbra's amazing performances of them . . . I'll never cease to be amazed at her marvelous voice) it even had a moderately interesting plot. How often does *that* happen in a '50's musical, where many musicals seemed to be created by writing a bunch of songs and trying to write a show around them? The final scene, with the performance of "My Man," is a truly touching scene that had me closing my eyes and simply listening to the music. Ahhh . . . definitely worth another watch. 3.5 stars.

No comments: