Sunday, August 16, 2026

The Family That Preys (2008)


IMDb plot summary: Two families from different walks of life learn to work together.
Directed by Tyler Perry. Stars Kathy Bates, Alfre Woodard, and Sanaa Lathan.

The Family that Preys is a Tyler Perry movie about a family, focusing most frequently on the two grown daughters who have very different attitudes toward romance and money. As the two argue and fight and bring their other family members into it, secrets begin to be revealed. I don't have a wide knowledge of Perry's work, but this was enjoyable, if forgettable. Characters and motivations here are drawn with extremely big, broad strokes. In some ways it is a melodrama, where the villains are villains for very little reason aside from that they're just evil. That being said, it is a fun ride to watch the villains try to finagle their way into getting what they want, and it's satisfying to ultimately see the heroes win out in the end. There are a lot of plots going on here, and I wish they were a little bit more cohesive rather than just feeling slapped together, but hopping back and forth between them certainly meant that I was seldom bored. Not fully my style or genre, but I'm not mad I watched it.

🎥 Tyler Perry's The Family That Preys (2008)
📊 Ranked #2381/4276 on my Flickchart
🎯 Flickscore™: 49

lost to Memphis Belle (#2131 → #2101)
beat The Other Sister (#3225 → #3342)
beat Heartbeat (#2676 → #2693)
lost to In the Mood for Love (#2412 → #2213)
beat A Lady to Love (#2540 → #2510)
beat Pi (#2474 → #2396)
lost to Air Force One (#2443 → #2279)
beat The Bat Whispers (#2458 → #2495)
lost to Wide Awake (#2450 → #2290)
lost to Pete's Dragon (#2454 → #2296)
beat Love Exposure (#2456 → #2493)
beat Wreck-It Ralph (#2455 → #2514)

No comments: