IMDb plot summary: Ismael and Julie enter a playful yet emotionally laced threesome with Alice. When tragedy strikes, these young Parisians are forced to deal with the fragility of life and love.
Directed by Christophe Honoré. Stars Ludivine Sagnier, Louis Garrel, and Clotilde Hesme.
Love Songs is a French musical that begins by being about a couple's relationship (and an occasional throuple) and then, when one half of that couple dies unexpectedly, we follow the male half on his journey of healing. This is clearly in the style of Jacques Demy, who I love, and I can see those pieces in this work. I'm a little less swayed by the story we're following -- French romance films often have a unique relational language that I do not identify with at all -- but the songs are great. They were easily the highlight, and I wish on some level that this was fully sung-through like some of Demy's were. The rest of the story and the romance are told pretty well, and while there are ups and downs and how engaged I was in the actual plot, it pulls it together at the end for me for sure. A unique little movie that I am glad that I got the chance to watch.
🎥 Love Songs (2007)
📊 Ranked #1257/4278 on my Flickchart
🎯 Flickscore™: 71
beat Lilies of the Field (#2137 → #2238)
lost to Do the Right Thing (#1087 → #878)
lost to The Wolf of Wall Street (#1610 → #1606)
beat Live Flesh (#1869 → #1871)
beat Hero (held at #1742)
beat American Movie (#1672 → #1671)
beat Hereditary (#1641 → #1728)
beat Hamlet (#1625 → #1623)
beat Patsy & Loretta (#1617 → #1723)
beat Música (#1613 → #1659)
lost to Krisha (#1611 → #1254)
lost to The Salesman (#1612 → #1597)

No comments:
Post a Comment