Saturday, August 29, 2026

Cold War (2018)

IMDb plot summary: In the 1950s, a music director falls in love with a singer and tries to persuade her to flee communist Poland for France.
Directed by Paweł Pawlikowski. Stars Joanna Kulig, Tomasz Kot, and Borys Szyc.

Cold War is a story about a couple in post World War 2 Europe. We follow the two of them over several decades as they meet, part, reunite, break up, and so forth. This one took me a long time to gel with. One problem for me which is very much a "me" problem and not a problem with film, is that I had great difficulty recognizing the male half of this couple, so there were moments when he would show up and have interactions with the woman and I didn't realize it was him, which means I definitely missed portions of this story that were significant. At one point during the film when I realized that I had completely lost the plot, I went to Wikipedia and looked up the summary, only to realize that there had been several interactions that I had completely missed the meaning of because I had thought that they were different people. That being said, the deeper digging into what actually was happening did help it gel for me quite a bit, and by the time the end rolled around, I was much more invested in the story and found the ending very emotionally impactful. This is definitely one that I need to go back and rewatch because given on how much I liked the ending, I might like the rest of it more than I thought he did as well.

🎥 Cold War (2018)
📊 Ranked #1414/4282 on my Flickchart
🎯 Flickscore™: 67

beat Another Earth (#2139 → #2132)
lost to The Lobster (#1088 → #1109)
lost to Marie Antoinette (#1611 → #1601)
lost to The Princess and the Frog (#1872 → #1744)
beat Struck by Lightning (#2006 → #2064)
beat Journey to Greenland (#1939 → #2117)
beat The Act of Killing (#1905 → #1913)
lost to Dark Shadows (#1887 → #1847)
lost to Resurrect Dead: The Mystery of the Toynbee Tiles (#1895 → #1882)
beat You Can Count on Me (#1901 → #1898)
beat Drive My Car (#1898 → #1987)
lost to Death to Smoochy (#1896 → #1712)

No comments: