Sunday, April 14, 2024

Anatomy of a Fall (2023)

IMDb plot summary: A woman is suspected of murder after her husband's death; their half-blind son faces a moral dilemma as the main witness.
Directed by Justine Triet. Starring Sandra Hüller, Swann Arlaud, and Milo Machado-Graner.

Anatomy of a Fall is about the mystery surrounding a man's death after he seemingly falls out of his attic window. The story follows the court case investigating whether he fell, jumped, or was murdered by his wife. I had high hopes for this one, and they might have been TOO high, because ultimately I just liked this film okay. It's an interesting enough story, and it is intriguing to see all the different possibilities brought to line. The son's plotline was by far the most compelling, as he tries to work through his memories of the day and the new things he learns about his parents' relationship. Every time it recentered on the main woman, I just found my interest flagging -- at the heart of it, I didn't really care whether she killed her husband or not except for how it would affect her son. It's a good movie and worth watching, but I wasn't blown away by it the way I hoped I would be.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Anatomy of a Fall > Selma
Anatomy of a Fall < Dark Passage
Anatomy of a Fall < The Impossible
Anatomy of a Fall > My Date With Drew
Anatomy of a Fall < The Curse of the Jade Scorpion
Anatomy of a Fall > The Recruit
Anatomy of a Fall > Radio Days
Anatomy of a Fall > VeggieTales: Esther, the Girl Who Became Queen
Anatomy of a Fall > Brick
Anatomy of a Fall < Mother Night
Anatomy of a Fall > Spider-Man 2
Final spot: #1583 out of 3886, or 59%.

No comments: