Saturday, March 16, 2024

High Treason (1929)

IMDb plot summary: Women unite to prevent financiers from engineering a second world war.
Directed by Maurice Elvey. Starring Benita Hume, Basil Gill, and Humberston Wright.

High Treason is a film from 1929 that imagines a future 20-30 years away in which peace is the expected societal standard worldwide, until a group of greedy financiers set out to start another world war and the women of the world have to band together and stop it. This is a very interesting premise but unfortunately it doesn't quite land in execution, and I found myself tuning in and out of the movie. The digital transfer I saw wasn't great, though, and there are aspects of the plot that I genuinely missed and I think it might have been partly due to the quality of the print. As I reread through the plot on Wikipedia, I kept thinking, "Hold on, that happened? How did I miss that? That's interesting!" I think I need to schedule a time to rewatch it to see if being able to follow the plot more clearly improves it, or if it's just poorly executed even with that extra understanding.

How it entered my Flickchart:
High Treason < Selma
High Treason < Frozen River
High Treason > Mission to Mars
High Treason < Bedtime Story
High Treason > A Farewell to Fools
High Treason > Alice in Wonderland (1951)
High Treason < Gosford Park
High Treason > Zero Charisma
High Treason > Billy the Kid
High Treason > Bad Teacher
High Treason > Dinner for Schmucks
High Treason < 101 Dalmatians (1996)
Final spot: #3184 out of 3879, or 18%.

No comments: