Sunday, December 31, 2023

Over the Garden Wall (2014)

IMDb plot summary: Two brothers find themselves lost in a mysterious land and try to find their way home.
Directed by Katie Krentz and Patrick McHale. Starring Elijah Wood, Collin Dean, and Melanie Lynskey.

Over the Garden Wall is a TV miniseries of short animated episodes following two lost boys trying to find their way back home and encountering a series of strange characters and situations along the way. It's been a stable of my husband's autumn rewatches for years, and so while I've seen pieces of it just from being in the same room, this was the first time I actually sat down and paid attention to it, and I'm so glad I did. It's such a delightful mix of charming and creepy, and Greg is one of the most immediately likable characters I've ever seen in animation. Each episode feels very thematically connected to the rest, without ever feeling like it's too repetitive. And, of course, the songs are a ton of fun, especially now that I get to hear them in their proper context. I finally get the hype around this one and am glad I finally made space to watch it for real.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Over the Garden Wall > The Blues Brothers
Over the Garden Wall > Dark Passage
Over the Garden Wall > The White Tiger
Over the Garden Wall < The Great Dictator
Over the Garden Wall > The Gods Must Be Crazy
Over the Garden Wall > Bicycle Thieves
Over the Garden Wall < 10 Cloverfield Lane
Over the Garden Wall < My Neighbor Totoro
Over the Garden Wall < The Apartment
Over the Garden Wall > Rashomon
Over the Garden Wall > Chaplin
Final spot: #290 out of 3829, or 92%.

No comments: