Sunday, November 12, 2023

X (2022)

IMDb plot summary: In 1979, a group of young filmmakers set out to make an adult film in rural Texas, but when their reclusive, elderly hosts catch them in the act, the cast find themselves fighting for their lives.
Directed by Ti West. Starring Mia Goth, Jenna Ortega, and Brittany Snow.

X is a horror film about a group of young adults who rent out an old mostly-empty farm in which to shoot an adult film, while the owners of the farm lurk around being generally ominous. And then people start dying. It's kind of a vague horror story that leans more into the vibe than into clear narrative answers for anything that's happening, and while that mostly works, I do find myself wishing I had a deeper understanding of what the actual motivation was for any of these character. Without that, though, it's still a semi-interesting slasher pic with a creative atmosphere. And after this and Infinity Pool, I am fully on the Mia Goth train. She brings such an unusual energy to everything she does, and while I forgot about the details of both of these movies pretty quickly after watching them, the image of Mia Goth wandering through the worlds sticks with me. I know I've sworn off franchises, but I am tempted to go ahead and watch Pearl, the companion piece to this one, to see if that is a more satisfying watch than this one.

How it entered my Flickchart:
X < The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
X > National Treasure: Book of Secrets
X > Outbreak
X < The King and I
X > Hellfighters
X > Like Crazy
X > Life of Pi
X < King Kong (2005)
X > Up Tight!
X < Cropsey
X > Belfast
Final spot: #2170 out of 3823, or 43%.

No comments: