Tuesday, October 25, 2022

The Expendables (2010)

IMDb plot summary: A CIA operative hires a team of mercenaries to eliminate a Latin dictator and a renegade CIA agent.
Directed by Sylvester Stallone. Starring Sylvester Stallone, Jason Statham, and Jet Li.

The Expendables is a big silly action movie following a team of mercenaries trying to overthrow a Latin American dictator. It features a variety of action stars in both prominent and small roles, including Sylvester Stallone, Jason Statham, Dolph Lundgren, Jet Li, Bruce Willis, Arnold Schwarzenegger, and more. So hear me out -- the movie that I ended up comparing this to in my mind the most was Tick, Tick, Boom. When I finished that movie, I thought to myself, "That was one of the most amazing love letters to musical theater I've ever seen, and I have no idea if people who don't love musicals will get anything out of it." This movie feels 100% like a love letter to the big action blockbusters of the 80s and 90s, and as such it almost completely passed me by. I didn't recognize about half the action stars who showed up, the action sequences don't have interesting fight choreography or unique set pieces so much as just a lot of explosions, and there's not really even any half-hearted character development. But every so often I'd get a glimpse of the film paying tribute to its past favorites. So with this, I'm in this weird space of appreciating what it's doing while having absolutely no interest in watching it myself. It'll rank low on my Flickchart personally but that's mostly just because it's not *for* me.

How it entered my Flickchart:
The Expendables < Jesus Christ Superstar (2000)
The Expendables < The Man with One Red Shoe
The Expendables > Around the World in 80 Days (1956)
The Expendables > 101 Dalmatians (1996)
The Expendables < Mother (2009)
The Expendables > Party Girl
The Expendables > Danger: Diabolik
The Expendables < Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
The Expendables < On the Town
The Expendables < Bad Moms
The Expendables < The Italian Job (2003)
The Expendables < Sleeper
Final spot: #2934 out of 3718, or 21%.

No comments: