Thursday, August 4, 2022

Drive My Car (2021)

IMDb plot summary: A renowned stage actor and director learns to cope with his wife's unexpected passing when he receives an offer to direct a production of Uncle Vanya in Hiroshima.
Directed by Ryûsuke Hamaguchi. Starring Hidetoshi Nishijima, Tôko Miura, and Reika Kirishima.

Drive My Car is a Japanese film about a play director whose wife dies unexpectedly, and sometime later we see him directing a production of Uncle Vanya in which he casts his wife's ex lover as Vanya. The title comes from the fact that the man is driven back and forth from his lodgings to his rehearsals by a young female driver who he gets to know along the way. This is a very slow, very quiet film that has no interest in giving you any more information than it absolutely has to. Sometimes that really pays off. The scene, for example, where the actor and the director finally open up to each other about the wife really worked for me. But sometimes, as in good chunks of the first two thirds of the movie, it's just frustrating. This is a three hour movie, and you really have to be ready to give it that amount of time and be prepared to sink yourself into it for that amount of time. I heard all this from your reviewers before but wasn't quite able to get that amount of time set aside to really focus on it. As a result, while I liked the film, I think there was certainly more to get out of it, and I hope to revisit it sometime to dig deeper.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Drive My Car > Be Kind Rewind
Drive My Car < Woman in the Dunes
Drive My Car < Battle Royale
Drive My Car < Josie and the Pussycats
Drive My Car > Alice Adams
Drive My Car > Alice
Drive My Car > Blow Dry
Drive My Car > Natural Born Killers
Drive My Car > Dakota Skye
Drive My Car > How Do You Know
Drive My Car > Sleepy Hollow
Drive My Car > Batman
Final spot: #1585 out of 3621, or 56%.

No comments: