Sunday, December 26, 2021

Meek's Cutoff (2010)


IMDb plot summary: Settlers traveling through the Oregon desert in 1845 find themselves stranded in harsh conditions.
Directed by Kelly Reichardt. Starring Michelle Williams, Bruce Greenwood, Paul Dano, and Will Patton.

This is a slow, suffocating movie. Never have I felt so much the isolation of being so far away from safety and comfort, with no idea when they'll find water or if it'll be enough to save them from death. That being said, I want to re-emphasize the SLOW part of "slow and suffocating." If you're a plot-driven movie watcher, you might find this plotless wandering agonizing. I usually would, but somehow I got into the rhythm and really connected to the characters' sort of desperate hopefulness. It ends up being a mood piece more than anything else, and I'm not sure watching it again would draw me in the same way, but I'm glad I saw it -- I got more out of it than I thought I might.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Meek's Cutoff > Hustle & Flow
Meek's Cutoff < Chronicle
Meek's Cutoff < Fantasia 2000
Meek's Cutoff < Real Life
Meek's Cutoff > The Diary of Anne Frank (2009)
Meek's Cutoff > Cast Away
Meek's Cutoff < Two Weeks Notice
Meek's Cutoff > Viva Zapata!
Meek's Cutoff > Man of La Mancha
Meek's Cutoff < Minority Report
Meek's Cutoff > Total Recall (1990)
Final spot: #1563 out of 3502, or 55%.

No comments: