Saturday, July 10, 2021

The Last Laugh (1924)


IMDb plot summary: An aging doorman is forced to face the scorn of his friends, neighbors and society after being fired from his prestigious job at a luxurious hotel.
Directed by F.W. Murnau. Starring Emil Jannings, Maly Delschaft, Max Hiller, and Emilie Kurz.

It's hard to talk about the film without somewhat spoiling the ending, but I'll try to keep it vague enough to not give away the details. I had a mixed reaction to this one. This film is not only silent in terms of no audible character voices, but it has only a single title card in the third act and the rest is told solely in visuals. As someone who responds VERY strongly to dialogue, I had a tough time getting into it because of that. I kept getting bored and tuning out and having to rewind. That's a "me" problem, though, not a movie problem, and I have to say I came around to it in the third act. Again, I'm attempting no spoilers here, but the movie culminates with a fascinating combination of hope and hopelessness that suddenly captured my imagination and my emotions much more strongly. I wouldn't be surprised if rewatching the whole film in light of its ending would be a new experience. I'll have to try and do that sometime.

How it entered my Flickchart:
The Last Laugh < Fahrenheit 451
The Last Laugh > The Professional
The Last Laugh < Wes Craven's New Nightmare
The Last Laugh > Annie (2014)
The Last Laugh < A Week Away
The Last Laugh < *batteries not included
The Last Laugh > Hiroshima mon amour
The Last Laugh > Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
The Last Laugh > How to Irritate People
The Last Laugh > V/H/S/2
The Last Laugh > Those Who Wish Me Dead
Final spot: #2285 out of 3397, or 33%.

No comments: