Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Stowaway (2021)

IMDb plot summary: A three-person crew on a mission to Mars faces an impossible choice when an unplanned passenger jeopardizes the lives of everyone on board.
Directed by Joe Penna. Starring Anna Kendrick, Daniel Dae Kim, Shamier Anderson, and Toni Collette.

So it turns out that movies where people are just hanging out in space without a spaceship TERRIFY me. I had the same visceral reaction to this that I did to the movie Gravity, and it occasionally made me too nervous to keep watching. Aside from that, it's a well-written, solid thriller, with a few absolutely chilling reveals as their options grow more limited, and it does a great job of pulling its audience into the ethical question. I FEEL the dilemma in a way other films WANT me to feel theirs. And when a movie hooks you in like that, it pays off -- I found the final resolution very moving and had to sit with it for awhile afterward. Keep an eye out for this one.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Stowaway > The Misfits
Stowaway > The Heart is a Lonely Hunter
Stowaway < Big Hero 6
Stowaway < Knights of Badassdom
Stowaway > Beetlejuice
Stowaway > Picnic at Hanging Rock
Stowaway > A Single Man
Stowaway < True Lies
Stowaway < Synecdoche, New York
Stowaway > Onward
Stowaway > Booksmart
Stowaway < Colossal
Final spot: #654 out of 3382, or 81%.

No comments: